Man Taken To Hospital After Smoke Alarms Alert Neighbour In Apartment Building

In Local

Early detection of smoke in an apartment building is credited on smoke alarms.

Cobourg Fire Department were called to an apartment building at 47 Munroe Street to automatic alarms at 5:20 p.m.

Acting Captain Rick Martin said firefighters were directed to the sixth floor where a smoke alarm was sounding inside an apartment.

Firefighters were told an elderly man lived inside the apartment and firefighters had to break down the door to gain access.

The man was found lying on the floor of the apartment with a pot on the stove smouldering.

It was determined the man had fallen and couldn’t get up while cooking supper, which started to burn.

As a tenant was walking down the hallway, the person could hear the smoke alarm going off inside the apartment.

After calling 9-1-1 the dispatcher told him to pull the fire alarm to alert other members of the apartment building.

Martin said there was no actual fire inside the apartment, but there was a haze throughout.

The man was taken to hospital by Northumberland County Paramedics.

“It’s the perfect example how important it is to have working smoke alarms in your residence,” said Martin.

“He was lucky. It could have ended up much worse.”

Join Our Newsletter!

Want to keep up to date on news and events in Northumberland? Subscribe to newsletter!

You may also read!

Mayor Issues Remembrance Plea Regarding LAV III Memorial

By Cecilia Nasmith/Today's Northumberland Remembrance Day in Cobourg came at the end of a special weekend, following the unveiling of

Read More...

New Cobourg Police Partnership Launched with MedicAlert

By Cecilia Nasmith The Cobourg Police Service has launched the MedicAlert program as a valuable resource for those with special

Read More...

Light Up A Life Appeals for Updated Deds

(Along with Dasher, the photo shows Reindeer Run head Anne Sauve and RN Devon Weller, chair of this year's

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu

Terms | Privacy |